Heart of Art – Sowing the Seeds of Art
Saturday May 11th 3-6 pm
Welcome in Spring with an afternoon of art, music,food and fun and help art grow in our community!
$25 per person or $45 for two!
What does an Art Hat Fashion Parade, a Day with Shelly Sulser from the Battle Creek Shopper and an indoor picnic have in common? They are all part of Art Center’s Heart of Art: Sowing the Seeds of Art. This fun-filled afternoon is the May 11th fund raiser from 3-6 pm at the Art Center
of Battle Creek.
“This is the third year for this spring fundraiser.” Says Linda Holderbaum, Executive Director. “Our goal is to raise $10,000 to help the Art Center continue providing the great educational experiences. We are so pleased to have the help of Eleanor and Robert DeVries again this year with a $6,000 match. We have some wonderful items to bid on as well as a fun time for all.
Board vice-chair person Sid Paradine is spearheading the food again this year which always gets rave reviews. Our hard working board has come up with some unique and different auction items as well.”
An exhibit titled “Celebrating Life” featuring the work of Ann Arbor artist Miriam Brysk will be the setting for this event. Heart of Art this year will have a picnic type atmosphere. DJ Sam Gray will again be at the helm for the music and entertainment. Entertainment this year will
include an Art Hat Fashion Parade. Attendees are encouraged to either create handmade hat or repurpose and embellish an existing hat. Three categories will be judged for door prizes:
Women’s Spring Hats, Men’s Hats and Occupational Headgear.
Unique auction items this year that the Art Center thrilled to be able to offer include: “A Day with Shelly Sulser” from the Battle Creek Shopper News, a baking class with David and Nancy Schweitzer, an 1800s dinner where the participants cook it in the “old way” with Jim and Karen Miller, a throwing class for two with ceramic artist Alix Cunningham, a Raku Party with Dallas
and Carol Shoesmith and much more. One-of-a-kind pieces donated by many talented artists involved in the community will also be available in the silent auction.
2019 Event Calendar
Exhibits, Special Classes, Events, Fundraisers
Dates and programming subject to change
- January 8-26 Through the Lens Eye Photography Invitational and Michigan Art Collection
- Week of January 21st Winter classes start.
- February 5-23 Art of Soul Featuring Sojourner Truth Institute -Journals/artist
- March 3-30 Class Act Elementary through Secondary Art
- Elementary Reception: Sunday March 3, 2-4 pm
- Middle/High School Reception: Sunday March 17, 2-4 pm
- March 9 Pour It On 12-2 Registration required.
- March 16 Rainbow Hair Book Event 1-3 pm Registration required.
- March 23 & 30 Pen, Ink & More 10 am – 1 pm Registration required.
- April 4- 27 Many Faces of Buddha Art from the collection of Yorgo Demetrakopoulos
- April 27 Bus Trip Adventure to Detroit
- Week of April 8th Visit from Japanese Friendship Doll form Detroit Institute of Arts and talk by Allen Scott Pate
- May 9-25 Celebrating Life, work by Miriam Brysk
- May 11 Heart of Art: Sowing the Seeds of Art Fundraiser 3-6 pm
- Week of April 15th Spring classes start.
- June 6-July 27 Barn Exhibition
- Week of June 17 Summer classes start
- July 16-18 Kids Summer Camp
- July 20 Kids Art Fair
- August 17 Artist’s Garage Sales
- August 20-24 Mega Artarama Blowout Sale
- September 5-28 Art of Aaron Warner and “Best of the West” Toys
- Week of September 16th Fall classes start.
- October 1-31 Rev. Jeckel and Mrs Hyde works of Sue Trowbridge
- October 5th Opening Reception 2-4 pm
- November 5-19 Art of Our Veterans
- November 19 – December 24 Holly Mart